Gully : Act Two

Gully, Ben Dolman 2016 : Colour Negative - Schneider 210mm

Why are some subjects that appear at first glance so difficult to photograph, this often regular question in photography has taken on a certain poignancy for me recently as I have being trying to photograph a gully before the vegetation busts into life with the arrival of spring.


I have photographed the gully four times over the past month initially with a long lens seeking to reveal just a part of the view in its exquisite detail but over time the camera has been drawn to capture a greater expanse of the landscape as I grew in confidence in capturing what is and still is a difficult subject. The difficulty has come from the way landscape is illuminated, the stems of withered plants seem to have a iridescent quality which can bleached out their detail and texture, the trees and scrubs naked of their foliage can appear at first when captured on film as a incoherent tangled mess. I have enjoyed the challenge to capture this landscape, I am not sure if I have been successful as I have a couple more photographs to take of it as I wish to see a bit of the sky line appear in the scene as seen in the last photograph, I did do a colour version but forget to remove the dark slide - f**king idiot. The hope is to revisit the same location throughout the year to see if it is suitable to take a series of photographs throughout the summer and autumn, to document the changes in the vegetation and how it alters the perception of the place.


Gully, Ben Dolman 2016 : BW Negative - Schneider 210mm

Gully, Ben Dolman 2016 : BW Negative - Schneider 210mm